Position: Senior Data Engineer, Data Platform
Reporting to: Head of BI
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent, Remote
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Europe's fastest growing healthtech start-ups
At Cera Care, our mission is to empower people to live longer, healthier, and better lives in their own homes. We don’t just care more, we care better. We want to be the UK leader in revolutionising affordable care for the better, for our service users and society and the perfect coordination across care practice, data, science and technology is how we’ll get there.
About Data at Cera
Data has a critical role to play in two distinct areas. First, data about our operations, covering everything from hiring carers to the delivery of care, helps us to observe and understand how we are performing, what is working and what we could do to better deliver care. Second, data about service users health, covering everything from their conditions to the health outcomes resulting from those conditions, helps us to observe and understand their experience but more importantly, it helps us to predict and prevent health deteriorations for those in our care.
As a Senior Data Engineer in the Data Platform Team, You’ll contribute to Cera’s mission by ensuring that if there exists data that helps improve the delivery of care or the health of our service users, that we can create or acquire it and make it easy to consume by people or as product features as needed to realise it’s value.
This role has the opportunity to progress into a Lead Data Engineering role on the establishing of processes and practices within the team.
What you’ll do
- You’ll work with software engineers and system owners to understand and document where and how data is created, influencing upstream to ensure quality and integrity at source where possible
- You’ll engineer pipelines to collect and protect data from multiple sources (e.g. Relational and non-relational data stores, APIs, Google Drive, event delivery pipelines), into a single persistent storage solution that enables everything from simple reporting to ML-backed products
- You’ll work with the technical and data leadership to make the data architecture and technology decisions needed to deliver in the present and set us up for the future by articulating our challenges, establishing selection criteria and evaluating options before opening for comment with other engineers and tech leads
- You’ll implement engineering operational excellence/site reliability best practices for your data pipelines, including defining and instrumenting metrics that become a part of our team OKRs
- Coach, mentor and develop a data engineering team to deliver the backlog
- You’ll drive your own development, and will be supported in doing so, ensuring steady progress on your path to mastery as a data engineer
- You’ll lead initiatives to improve our data accuracy, availability, granularity, coverage, and overall robustness of our data management capabilities.
Who you are
- You’re committed. You’re committed to making data easy to use by people across our business, ensuring it’s a source of value for the people in care operations and for the people in our care. This makes you bold but thoughtful, able to thrive in a fast paced, complex data environment.
- You’re a creator. You’ll apply your skills as a data professional and drive for simplicity to innovate and find the right solutions for our people’s data needs, challenging the status quo - there must be a better way. If it can be imagined, you make it possible.
- You’re a connector. You work across our product, engineering and operations teams to scope datasets that enable delivery of reporting, insights and training data at heart of achieving our mission. You keep our carers and service users in mind, connecting their operational needs and health needs with your delivery pipelines.
- You’re a perfectionist. You drive a high standard/best practice for our data warehouse and data pipelines
- You’re an evangelist. You will build support for the importance of collecting and leveraging data, be open and willing to engage with everyone to discuss, to share, to inquire, and to inspire, and spread the word about our data products and services.
- You’re purpose driven. You care about the value your highly valued skills have to contribute to tackling one of society's greatest challenges: affordable care.
What you’ll need
- Mastery of SQL with ideally 5+ years experience developing data pipelines in a cloud based database environment (e.g.BigQuery), including scheduling your own queries (e.g. using Airflow or Stitch)
- 3+ years experience delivering data products in a modern BI technology (ideally Looker) or open source data frameworks (e.g. streamlit)
- Experience using programming languages (e.g. Python, Scala) to build effective data architecture, streamline data processing, and improve data efficiency via automation.
- Experience working collaboratively with data analysts, data scientists, business managers and product managers to establish their needs and convert to structured data needs
- Experience implementing full continuous delivery pipelines to automate builds, tests, and deployments in one release workflow, using modern tools and systems (e.g. Git, Jenkins)
- Strong executional capacity in dev/data/security operations, including writing code for automation, scripting and managing cloud infrastructure and security (e.g. Terraform) and implementing these operational practices within the team
- Great communication and data modelling (especially dimensional modelling) skills (e.g. Kimball)
- A high degree of self-sufficiency, with proven track record of delivery in a high autonomy environment
What we offer
● Career development in an ambitious company - we’ll grow with you
● Work from home setup - all the technology you’ll need
● Flexible and remote working
● Competitive salary & discretionary bonus
● 25 days paid annual leave, UK bank holidays & your birthday off
● Recognition Awards
● Group Pension Scheme
● Lifeworks discount platform & Employee Assistance Programme
Life at Cera
We’re committed to creating an inclusive workforce. We believe in a world where you have the freedom to explore and express yourself without judgement, no matter who you are or where you’re from. Where you value yourself and feel proud of who you are. Where individuality is a source of confidence because difference makes the world a better place.
Our team is made up of academics, innovators, start-up accelerators and care experts, all connected by a vision to build a better future for care through the combination of best-in-class carers, empowered by technology.
You have the opportunity to join a purpose-driven company at the tipping point of transformation. You’ll play a key part in the evolution of Cera and make a real impact, now and in the future.